Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Woman in Black- By:Susan Hill


 I actually first heard about this book when the movie came out. I’m a real wimp, but my boyfriend and I decided to go see it, because I was intrigued by the fact that it was a faux-gothic novel (you don’t see many of those being made into movies).

After watching the movie, I really wanted to read the book, but I was afraid because I thought that Hollywood had probably cut a lot out and that the book might be too frightening to me. However, when I finally broke down and bought it, I found that the book was well done, beautifully written, and minimally scary. In fact I was almost a little bored. I thought Hollywood did a really good job at beefing up the fear factor without going over board.

                That aside, the book is an excellent example of a faux-gothic novel. It was beautifully written and well thought out. It is a tragic book, and there is not much for happy anywhere in it- but if you enjoy haunting ghost stories, this is an excellent one with a good solid plot.

Rating: 4/5   PG-13 (scary)

No comments:

Post a Comment