Thursday, January 31, 2013

How I Put Instant Volume In My Hair

For those of you who know me- you know that I have very fine, thin hair. Anyone who has seen pictures of me knows I hide this very well. There are a few different ways I use to add volume to my hair- so I'm gonna tell you about my top three- going from the most extreme to the easiest.

1.Extensions- These don't have to be long or flowy, they don't have to even be the length of your hair, but clipping in a few strips of hair will defiantly make your natural hair look fuller. my personal problem here is that my hair is so thin, I can't hide clips very well. I will occasionally use this method for bombshell yow-za hair, but it's not my typical method.

2. Ratting- I do not personally use this method often. I don't like the shape it gives to my hair, it never looks quite right, and on me it always looks fake, trampy or scene. However, the idea is to back comb your hair in layers (you can find loads of tutorials on it that can show you the best techniques and tools). When I do it, I always smooth the hair back down and hairspray it. This locks in the volume, without the ratty mess.

3.Hair Routine- This, my friends, is my secret. I do it daily and this is how I get my full looking hair.
First off, I never, ever ever brush or comb my hair while it's wet. So that said,

Freshly Washed Routine:
  • When  I get out of the shower, I wrap a microfiber hair towel (bought mine at dollar tree) around my hair and let it dry for a few seconds
  • Next I spray my hair with a caffeinated hair spray and massage my scalp for a full minute (To see the hair care and make up products I use daily, click here).
  • After that, I rub argon oil (or other hair oil) on the ends of my hair to give them moisture.
  •  I liberally spray my hair with heat protection spray, and run my hands through my hair to evenly distribute it, careful not to pull any of the tangles or snarls.
  •  I let that sit for a lit bit (usually while I do my makeup) 
  • I spray a bit of foaming mousse into my hand and work it through my hair, from root to tip. (This step is optional, I use it only for intense volume)
  •  I mist my hair with a heat texturizer. After the texturizer has sat for a few seconds,
  • I tip my head upside down and begin to blow dry my hair. Tipping my hair upside down has to purposes 1. This helps blood flow to my head/scalp, which in turn makes my hair grow faster/healthier/thicker 2. Drying the hair shaft in this position will add A LOT of volume to your hair.
  • As I blow dry my hair, I run the fingers of one hand through my hair, gently untangling it and fluffing it. Blow drying my hair is how I smooth out all my snarls and tangles. I don't brush my hair until after I've dried it, so this step is Very important, and you need to make sure your hair is COMPLETELY dried.
  • With my head still upside down, I take my brush, and brush my hair out
  • After my hair is smooth, I take a dry shampoo, and spritz my hair all over, especially close to the roots; Even though I just washed my hair.That is because dry shampoo has particles in it that will adhere to the roots of your hair, and make it look thicker and fuller
  • Next I spray my hair all  over with hairspray
  • to finish I head bang slightly, bouncing my hair up and down, and then dramatically, flip my head up.
  • I move my hair around with my fingers to get the right look, and wa-la!
 
Second Day Hair (wet)
 
I only wash my hair every two days (sometimes I go longer), because it is healthier for my hair. To avoid body odor, oily skin, and product buildup in my hair, I will shower and just rinse my hair without any shampoo/ conditioner. This does help to rinse alot of the oils and product out of y hair- but not ALL of them.
  • When I get out of the shower, I wrap a microfiber hair towel  around my hair and let it dry for a few seconds
  • I liberally spray my hair with heat protection spray, and run my hands through my hair to evenly distribute it, careful not to pull any of the tangles or snarls.
  • I let that sit for a lit bit (usually while I do my makeup)
  • I mist my hair with a heat texturizer. (you can skip this if you added it the day before or have oily hair/ are worried about product build up) After the texturizer has sat for a few seconds,
  • I tip my head upside down and begin to blow dry my hair.
  • As I blow dry my hair, I run the fingers of one hand through my hair, gently untangling it and fluffing it. Blow drying my hair is how I smooth out all my snarls and tangles. I don't brush my hair until after I've dried it, so this step is Very important, and you need to make sure your hair is COMPLETELY dried.
  • With my head still upside down, I take my brush, and brush my hair out
  • After my hair is smooth, I take a dry shampoo, and spritz my hair all over, especially close to the roots. This will help fight the look of oil, product build up, etc.
  • Next I spray my hair all over with hairspray
  • to finish I head bang slightly, bouncing my hair up and down, and then dramatically, flip my head up.
  • I finish by  using my fingers to put everything in the right place.


  • Second Day Hair (Dry)
     
    If I wake up late (or a feeling lazy),  I will skip the shower. Instead I will just quickly prep my hair and go. This only works for one day with me, so if I'm planning to go three days before washing my hair, I rinse on day three. Since this is second day hair, and I'm  not going to be rinsing it before hand, I skip most of my products (They are already in my hair from day one, and too much product will have the opposite effect).
    • First, I tip my head upside down, and blast my hair with blow dryer, untangiling and fluffing  my hair with my fingers like I would normally do. I don't use the dryer as long as I would for wet hair, but a little heat really helps to liven up slept-in hair. I tousle and scrunch my hair a lot to revive yesterday's volume.
    • Next, with my head still upside down, I run my brush through my hair to smooth is out and break up and remaining tangles or knots.
    • With my head still upside down, I spray a liberal amount of dry shampoo through all of  my hair, concentrating on the roots and hair line. Tousle and work through hair slightly
    •  I spritz this with a very light mist of hairspray for extra hold
    • At this point, I do the gentle head bang to make my hair bounce and air it out, then I flip it up
    • I finish up by using my fingers to fix any stray strands and get everything in place.
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment